Spawn GameObject behind another GameObject

• How do you spawn a GameObject behind another GameObject that's already moving? I'm trying to spawn this blue car behind the red one:
    alt text
    I want the blue car to follow the red one along the path and eventually add another car behind the blue one. Would anyone have a suggestion how this can be done?

Thank you!

• Thanks for registering here.

You'll have two options for placing objects in this case:

• at a waypoint behind the other object
    • at a percentual position

For the first one, you would just read out the 'currentPoint' variable of the first object, subtract 1 and set it as the 'startPoint' variable of the second movement script.

For the second option, I would recommend looking at the PathInput sample script for this, which is included in the package. There are some calculations involved, but basically that script sets the object using a progress value (range 0 - 1) on the path, where 0 is the start and 1 is 100% / the end. In the same way, you would read the path progress of the first object, subtract a small value like 0.02 (2%) and set it on the second.

Hope this makes sense. :)

• Baroni,

That worked like a charm. It was much easier than I thought. I was doing all sorts of crazy things and didn't realize all I had to do was use those public variables. I'll take a look at the pathinput example as well.

Thank you so much!

• @Baroni

So, I was able to get the second car to follow the first one when car is in the scene, but when I instantiate it, the blue car goes back to the beginning of the path. This is the script on the blue car:

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    using SWS;

public class FollowCar : MonoBehaviour
    {

public GameObject player;
        public splineMove followCar;
        public splineMove moveCar;

// Start is called before the first frame update
        void Start()
        {
            player = GameObject.FindWithTag("Player");
            followCar = player.GetComponent<splineMove>();
            moveCar = GetComponent<splineMove>();

Debug.Log("Spline Car " + moveCar.startPoint);

moveCar.SetPath(WaypointManager.Paths["loop"]);
            moveCar.startPoint = followCar.currentPoint - 1;

}

// Update is called once per frame
        void Update()
        {
            //Debug.Log("Spline Car " );

}

}

Any ideas why the startPoint isn't set after I instantiate it? I used moveCar.SetPath() to assign the path because I saw it in the instantiate example. Not sure that might be the issue.

• @Baroni
    So, it turns out using the progress value sets the second car directly when you instantiate it. A much better approach after using SetPath().

• SetPath() is starting the movement directly, which is why you would want to modify the startPoint beforehand. Glad that you figured out how to do it with the progress value as well.